Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Liberty London Shows Flair for Fashion


Liberty & Co. has long been associated with the Arts and Crafts movement. William Morris' prints have become almost synonymous with the famous London shop, and Oscar Wilde once commented that Liberty was the “the chosen resort of the artistic shopper.”

The recent economic downturn has been difficult for the London store, and Liberty is responding to market pressures by cultivating a slightly more modern design aesthetic. Liberty's CEO, Geoffroy de La Bourdonnaye, is injecting some high fashion flavour into the store through a relationship between Liberty and Hermès.

The iconic french fashion house will be opening a "pop up" boutique in the centre of the store that will feature Hermès scarves and neckties.

The theme of "romance and rebellion" will be continuing with a series of ready to wear prints created exclusively for Liberty by Rolling Stones rocker Ronnie Wood. Wood, who was last featured on this blog when his daughter married in a Pre-Raphaelite inspired gown, has become respected as an artist in his own right. I particularly enjoyed the print he created for the dress below:



I love Hermès (who doesn't?), and Ronnie Wood's prints do seem like a lot of fun. At the same time, I hope Liberty doesn't lose sight of their fabulous Arts and Crafts heritage in an attempt to remain hip.

Read more at the New York Times

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I know the focus is on fashion, but has anyone noticed the architecture of the building? Really amazing.

Nicolette
http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com/

Acornmoon said...

This is one of my favourite shops in London,it is always worth a visit. When I was there in August I saw some vintage silk scarves made into cushion covers, I thought that was such a good idea.

Margaret said...

Ah, you're so lucky to be able to go there so often, Valerie! I've only been there once, sadly. But I loved it!

The Nightwatchman said...

Sorry, Nicolette, but I have seen to many bad Mock Tudor buildings to be impressed. Also mock Georgian is the only thing worse with pillars on the side of the door, be too small. Shudder.

Margaret said...

Perhaps that's a bit harsh? I would argue that mock Tudor is still definitely cuter than authentically ugly modern buildings...

Tracy said...

While I love the Ronnie Wood's print--the dress is gorgeous and fun, I do hope Liberty won't stray too much away from its own unique style. I love Liberty, and is a favorite stop when in London. I would hate to think of it turning into just another monster house of fashion and lose its special sweetness. Will be interesting to see what happens! Happy Day, Margaret :o)