Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Book Darts


I'm in love with Book Darts. It sounds pretty silly, but I'm in the middle of writing my thesis and I seem to use them all day every day at the moment. They're one of those products that I simply couldn't live without, so I thought I'd share them with you today.

Book Darts are an alternative to highlighters, dog-earing and other generally frowned on ways of keeping track of what you read. Except they are of course far better because they cannot damage the pages of your favourite book. I used to use page tabs, but they are sticky and if you leave them on books they can leave a residue, and worse, discolour the pages of your book. Book Darts function as a linemarker to help you keep track of exact lines in books (I really love using them when I'm reading poetry). They also make the perfect bookmark because they let you know exactly where you stopped reading. They're made of bronze and can't stain the pages of your beautiful books.

I still remember how delighted I was when I first discovered Book Darts sitting in small glassine envelopes in my favorite bookshop. I think they came 15 to a packet--I quickly lost them, because that's just the way I am. So I kept buying them in small quantities throughout University. Later I discovered their tins, which hold more marks and are a bit harder to lose!

Book Darts are also made in Hood River, Oregon, so you're not supporting some megaconglomerate that manufactures their product overseas for pennies while charging you an arm and a leg. I think William Morris would heartily approve!

image courtesy the Library of Congress. I guess they're fans as well!

Oh, I should mention that I am in no way affiliated with book darts. Or any other product that is mentioned on this blog. Though it would sometimes be nice if I was. I could use a few more book darts!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

book darts? sounds interesting but really i havent seen anything like this here, tks for sharing :)

Margaret said...

I actually haven't seen book darts in Canada either--I buy them when I go home to visit.

Ju said...

These things look awesome! I always feel sorry for books I read; I really put them through the wringer! What a great solution!

Bill Donovan said...

I have been making my own bookmarks for a while, but I like the idea of book darts. I thought you had mispelled book arts, haha.

Nice Blog!